Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Dreams or how I wish we had a book already

I keep having dreams about Michelle & I being wildly successful in our book endeavor -- both dreams when I lay my head on the pillow at night, and the sort of daydreams that are evidenced in the Simpsons by Homer looking up & to the left, followed by a fanciful daydream sequence.  In fact, about a week ago, I woke up feeling absolutely certain that our book was going to be successful.  I don't remember having any dream, but I just woke up with that certainty.  Whether it's a psychic premonition or just the aftereffects of a pleasant dream brought on by all of my wishful thinking, it's been a difficult feeling to shake.

Ever since I got this feeling, it's been even more difficult for me to focus on my school work.  I have less than two weeks left of this semester, and I really need to start studying for my finals.  All I want to do, however, is do more research for our book.  I don't dislike school, but right now it just feels like an enormous impediment to the thing that I'm most passionate about.  I'm trying not to let this sour me on school because if this whole novelist thing doesn't work out, I need to do well in graduate school.  It's hard, though.

In the last few days, Michelle & I have significantly developed the arch of the series (via email & phone).  Our plan is to nail down precisely how the series comes to a conclusion while she visits me in PA over Christmas break, so that we can make sure that everything we write in the first book is consistent with where it's all going.  We want to have sufficient foreshadowing and fun references that will all make sense in later books. 

Personally, I think the series is completely fascinating & I'm so excited about the whole thing, but I'm terrified at the same time.  If this doesn't work out, I will be more disappointed than I've ever been in my life.  There are few times in your life that you feel like you could really do something great.  I mean, that sounds ridiculous to even put on paper.  Regardless, I need to get this out of my mind because I have 3 finals in less than 2 weeks, and I know not a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment