Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still trucking

Since my last blog post, I (not so ) successfully completed my month-long goal of following all the rules in the First Corinthians "Love is patient, love is kind..." verse. I tried my best, but patience is not my strong suit.

I finished the first draft of the book that experiment was preparation for, and I'm currently in the process of editing it. I'm hoping to have the edits complete by the end of this week so that I can send it out to beta readers.

I was tooling around online yesterday and I noticed that The Book Doctors are going to be in New Jersey with their famous Pitchapalooza which is basically the "American Idol of books." Really successful people (such as Genn Albin, author of Crewel) have gotten their big break by winning Pitchapalooza, so it's a big deal. I've attended one pitchapalooza event and unfortunately wasn't randomly selected to give my pitch. I then tried to go to two others, but they were both cancelled due to weather (one because of a hurricane, and another because of a freak October blizzard). I'm hoping next week will be my big chance. In preparation, I've been working on my pitch.

Here's what I got so far:

My Contemporary Middle Grade novel, PROJECT SINNERS CAN BE SAINTS, is Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret meets the Pennsylvania Dutch.

Twelve-year-old Emily Pincus is half-Jewish, half-Mennonite, and the wrong half for both.

Emily’s parents divorce, and her mother takes her to live with her Mennonite grandparents. (Think coverings and no television, not horse & buggies and no electricity). While her family loves her, Emily feels like an outsider. It’s small consolation to be one of “God’s chosen people” when you stick your foot in your mouth all the time.

After Emily’s cousin says that her parents’ marriage was doomed to fail because only Christians can know true love, Emily sets out to scientifically prove her cousin wrong. She might not know Ishmael from Issac, but she makes it her to goal to strictly follow all the rules laid out in the Bible for being a loving person.

Being perfectly loving is easier said than done, however, especially with an annoying little brother, a needy friend at school, and a cousin who seems perpetually irritated with everything she does. No matter how hard it is, though, Emily is determined to prove her cousin wrong, because if she’s right, where does that leave Emily?

Other than that, I've been dabbling in short stories, so I've submitted one to a handful of journals. I've already gotten my first rejection letter for that, so whoo-hoo! A whole new format of rejection!

As far as my other two novels, Michelle & I just got another request for TRAVELER and I just got another request for GOOD GIRLS. The agent who requested GOOD GIRLS seemed really upbeat and positive and she said she'd get back to me in 3 weeks (it's been almost 1 now). Just even hearing back would be nice because one agent has had GOOD GIRLS for 3 months, and two others have had it for 2 months. Don't they know how painful waiting is?! ;)

To end on a positive note, I've recently been hired to do regular local reporting for CBS's Arts & Culture beat in Philly. I just submitted my first article about the top Opera events in the coming year, although it won't be published for about a month. Not only does this make me feel like a "real" writer, it also pays cash money which is always nice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine! Nice to meet you. I love when stories aren't afraid to tackle issues of faith. I think society today is too scared of being politically correct and we lose something that way.

    I didn't see a live pitch. Did I miss it? Or you didn't do one? Anyway, thanks for stopping by mine. :D

    ReplyDelete